Albany and Related Brewers and Breweries
A large number of 1600s brewer references are found in Contributions for the genealogies of the first settlers of the ancient county of Albany, from 1630 to 1800 by Jonathon Pearson, 1872.
Mr. Ames brewer. First name not recorded. 175 Court Street. From 1813 first city directory.
Beverwyck Brewing Company was in production from 1878 to 1920 and again from 1933 to 1950. Located at 30/52 North Ferry Street, it was bough out by Schaefer Brewing Co of Brooklyn which operated the facility until 1972. Here is a map of its location.
Boyd & McCulloch brewers. In operation 1819 to 1825 according to BHA.
Henry Birrell brewer. North Market. In operation in 1825 according to BHA.
Jan Jansen Damen dies in 1651 leaving the inventory of his personal wealth including tools and stock related to growing, malting and brewing with his grain including "2 half sacks of hops as they have just come from Holland" and "schepels of barley, wheat, rye and oats." Interesting to note he has wampum, currency to the local peoples. Likely located in New AMsterdam and not Albany but a good record of the contents of a brewery at the time.
Dobler Brewing Co.existed in one form or another from 1865 to 1959.
Lancelot Fidler, brewer. Gives an affidavit to the 1835 Senate inquiry. States he has been a brewer for 16 years (ie since 1819) and that he is with the firm Fidler & Ryckman.
Fidler & Ryckman, brewers. Cited in the 1835 Senate inquiry report.
Charles Fields maltster. In operation in 1825 according to BHA.
Harman Ganesvoort. Dies 1801. Here is his bio at Stefan Bielinski's site. Operates brewery at corner of Maiden Lane and Dean Street in 1795 and likely much earlier. Sometimes identified as "Harmen". Reported here: "In Albany as early as 1747 beer making was largely practised and barley largely grown near that city. An account is made of Harman `Gansevoort who was one of the most famous brewers of that time. He believed in giving an additional flavor to his beer and it was related at that time that this wealthy brewer when he wished to give a special flavor to a good beer, would wash his old leathern breeches in it." Another report: "One of the most prosperous brewers of Albany during the last century was Harman Gansevoort, who died in 1801, having acquired a large fortune in the business. His Brewery stood at the corner of Maiden Lane and Dean street, and was demolished in 1807. He found large profits in the manufacture of Beer, and as late as 1833, when the dome of Stanwix Hall was raised, the aged Dutchmen of the city compared it to the capacious brew kettle of old Harme Gansevoort, whose fume was fresh in their memories". John Gardner brewer. In operation in 1825 according to BHA.
Goosen Gerrittsen in 1649 rented the Patroon's brewery in partnership with Rutger Jacobson. Rent was 450 guilders a year, payable in addition one guilder for every ton of beer which they brewed. This duty amounted in the first year to 330 gl., and in the following season they worked up 1,500 schepels of malt.
Hedrick Brewing Co. existed from 1852 to 1965. Owned by Albany political boss Dan O'Connell and his family: "It was reputedly Albany's most popular beer after the repeal of Prohibition in 1932, being sold in practically every bar and store."
Hinckel Brewing Co. "...began in the early 1850s as Schinnerer & Hinckel, then later became known Fred Hinckel Brewery and finally in the 1880-1920 period as Hinckel Brewery Co or Cataract Brewery." It was sold at public auction in 1903.
Stephen Humphries brewer. 236 North Market street. In operation in 1825 according to BHA.
Hathorn McCulloch brewer and partner of Robert Boyd, Ferry Street. Started operation in 1817 according to BHA. Here is the location of Ferry Street. But also named in 1813 directory, too, as "M'Culloch."
Rutger Jacobson, magistrate in Rensselaerswyck, in 1649 rented the Patroon's brewery in partnership with Goosen Gerrittsen. Rent was 450 guilders a year, payable in addition one guilder for every ton of beer which they brewed. This duty amounted in the first year to 330 gl., and in the following season they worked up 1,500 schepels of malt.
Evert Pels brought "between two and three hundred bushels of malt" to Albany in 1644.
Peter Snyder brewer. Schuyler street; In operation in 1825 according to BHA.
William Wake brewer, Schenectady Turnpike. Started operation in 1817 according to BHA.
Henry G. Webb, maltster, Schenectady Turnpike. Started operation in 1816 according to BHA.
- John Taylor, Brewer (1790 to 1863)
- Someone posted a huge amount of information on Albany's biggest brewer, John Taylor, over at rootsweb. Number that appear odd are footnotes. Look down.