I like helping people. Say what you like, I am a people person at heart. I helped people today. I have been helping people so much this week, I have snapped at an old pal in my business life and been living on five hour sleeps. I made a lamb sausage curry tonight, too. So it is with some discomfort but for more giggles that I read Simon's post today entitled "Reluctant Scooper regrets that..." about his regrets over not being able to respond to all the demands made of him including regrets that he can't:
- read your blog just because you tweeted me to do so in BLOCK CAPITALS
- write 500 words for free in the next two hours for your magazine because the writer you usually pay to do it has got delayed at an airport with no wifi / is face-down in a vat of custard / has caught VD
- recycle your press release into an "innovative yet commanding" blogpost
- do any kind of RT / Like / +1. Even if you say 'please'. Even if you didn't ask in Comic Sans. Because you asked for it
- attend your bar opening which is three hundred miles away. On a Tuesday night. With 24 hours notice. Because all the proper beer journos have got gastroenteritis. Or a better offer...
It does remind me of my latest policy update. It appears that Simon has a lawn, too, but he is able to sum up the point of beer blogging succinctly with a "[i]f it isn't for shits & giggles, what to we do it for?" Perfect. Exactly. This week I have been working through Shakespeare's Local by Pete, perhaps his real breakthrough book. I have assisted with comments on the draft of another book. I got 16 beers worth of samples dropped off. I helped a household of seven stay sane. I thought a lot about Albany, NY in the 1600's and how it is just possible they were exporting beer out into the larger Dutch West Indies colonies. I drove to Ottawa and back Thursday night. I worked at my job, too. I was told there was "a bunch of young beer people who follow you questioning your relevance to your face" and knew how important it was to not give a rat's ass in any way whatsoever.
There is so much fun in all of this. So many shits and giggles. Why bother with the rest?