It was 12 months today that I last wrote those words... except for the 2009 of course. Hard to believe that this is the fourth annual photo contest. Here are the 2008 winners, here are the best from 2007 and look way back here for the best of the first year in 2006. That is the 2008's Grand Champion from Matt Wiater of Portland Oregon to the right.
There are a few changes. Mostly, there is not going to be an attempt to get a prize for every contestant. Last year's experiment in democratic egalitarianism just about killed me. No, this year it's going to be me as you, the beer pornographer. Pure beer blog Xmas photo contest authoritarianism. What does that mean?
- More Prizes: we have prizes and will have more prizes. For a lucky winner or two in the UK, we have two cases of BrewDog beers offered by James Watt. We have a copy of "Brewing With Wheat" from Stan Hieronymus to a U.S. winner as well as the annual gift pack of Roland and Russell selections for a lucky Ontario winner. Over the next few weeks, I will let you know of more and more prizes offers which show up in the email in that bit of a frenzy that always surprises.
- Better Photos: what could I mean by that? Well, this year you have to be more selective in your offerings. I am only accepting five photos from every entrant. Last year we had 524 entries. That will be fine again this year as long as we have 105 entrants. I am going to create one gallery on this here blog and skip the Flickr thing.
- More Time For Me: you have no idea how much of my pre-Yule was taken up with figuring out how to manage all the entrants. There are four kids under 11 in the house now and family's coming over from the auld country. It's going to be busy but rather than skip this year I thought we'd give streamlining a go. I also happily worked with Jeff in London in years two and three but this year am going back to the solo contest to cut down the international jet set administrative work. I am going lean... err, leaner... compared to my actual level of leanness that is.
- More Beer Porn For You: I am hoping that the idea of more limited entries brings out the best and makes it clear that this is a beer blog photo contest for the ages. I will have a better idea on the prize packages being offered as we go along but hopefully the opportunity for a big haul for those who have been very good will also attract some gems. Let's see what happens.
- No Bad Art: No photos of dishes of food with a beer next to it. Nuff said. OK, more here but you get the idea.
There you have it. The race is on. I am going to announce the prize winners soon after closing the contest on Saturday December 12 at 5:00 pm eastern time. Send in your five entries to email@example.com with your name and address and I will start posting them. If you have a prize to offer, send word of that along as well.