So, I was on the road for 24 to take in the 23rd NY special election with pals across the border... which means I could fit in a shopping spree. A few days ago, we were exploring relative value as well as regional pricing over here in these comments and I said I would. I am going to price it including a 26.5% markup for the PST, GST, excise tax and the curse-d "Provincial liquor mark-up fee" of 5.75%. That's the lost profit to the LCBO for me not buying the beer from them. Even though they don't offer these beers. You have to love that. NY sales tax of 7.45% and a 5 cent bottle deposit in not added.
Anyway, here is a selection of the plunder priced in US dollar as that is what I was spending and that is what most of you spend:
- Sam Adams Double Bock x 4: $9.99 + 26.5% = $12.64 or $3.16 each.
- Lake Placid Ubu Ale x 6: $8.45 + 26.5% = $10.74 or $1.79 each.
- Bud Light Golden Wheat x 6: $6.89 + 26.5% = $8.72 or $1.45 each.
- Goose Island Oatmeal Stout x 6: $9.99 + 26.5% = $12.64 or $2.11 each.
- Victory Festbier x 6: $9.29 + 26.5% = $11.75 or $1.96 each.
The exchange rate was 1.07 at the border today, too. Furthermore, the first beer was 55 miles from here, the second two were 30 miles from here and the last two were 120 miles from here at the wonderful Galeville Grocery, my friend for over 5 years now, which was celebrating Syracuse Beer Week with a Unibroue sampling right in the shop. Seemed to be going very well.
There. You have your data. Evaluate.